Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

TURNS OUT ALL YOU MAC USERS AREN'T IMMUNE AFTER ALL

IN MY DISCUSSIONS WITH SUNDRY FOLKS ABOUT THE VIRUS PROBLEM I JUST BEAT, I ENCOUNTERED MANY AN APPLE "MAC" USER WHO LOOKED AT ME PITYINGLY AND TOLD ME THAT "MACS DON'T GET VIRUSES".

Well, well.  I have just learned of a major attack specifically launched at Apple products.  Sorry, guys; and I hope the Mac community has developed the kind of network we PC users have evolved to deal with these pests (but you haven't).

Remember the ads a few years ago where some flannel-shirted hipster introduced himself with "I'm a Mac" and a grey flannel suited bespectacled fuddy-duddy introduced himself with "and I'm a PC"?

Remember how such benefits were touted as the magnetic power connection which guaranteed that tripping over the cord wouldn't pull the entire machine onto the floor and damage it? 

(Actually, we old fuddy-duddiies are smart enough to not get tangled up in electric cords. I guess kids will always need training wheels, though...)

And Macs had more of the features important to using them for recreational purposes. Which is great, but in addition to blogging and such I actually conduct serious business on my machine, so I prefer the IBM design.

And it was exactly the tendency for people who had serious business to conduct to use PCs which led to the concentration of hacking efforts on PCs.  You can't make a whole lot of money cheating broke-ass GenXers who live with their folks and use their Macs to tell each other who puked in whose car after listening to an evening of shlock poetry at some slam. 

But at some point the hackers were bound to get desperate and turn to hacking the Mac.  That point has been reached, and now the Mac is much more vulnerable than the PC, because most Mac users thought they would be immune forever. 

Remember the Maginot Line? (look it up on Wikipedia, you history challenged younguns) What y'all have there I call the MACinot Line. And the Germans just got around it. 

Fuddy duddy, eh?  Here's a quote from P.J. O'Rouke:

"Age, experience and guile trumps youth, good looks and a bad haircut"

Truer words......

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive