Pages

Friday, March 23, 2018

QUITE POSSIBLY THE WORST MISTAKE I HAVE MADE IN MY NATURAL LIFE. (TFH 2)

Gentle readers, you all know how it is that I had come to the conclusion that it be best I retire in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  This may well be the worst mistake I have ever made in my life. 

Right now as I write this I have set up camp with about 30 others on the parameter of the Broward County main library. My position is at the Western recess of the main lobby entrance, where there  is a pillar to hide behind.  

This particular pillar and the space between it and the wall are redolent of the aromas of old piss and puke. The concrete on which I lay now bears the bleach marks from the stomach acid of those who puked beforetimes, and fresh piss fills the area between the pillar and the wall. Why did I choose such a position? Because it is on the lee side of the building, and it's the last one availiable.  

Amazing. My original plan was to file for my SS, then find some kind of shelter and look for a supplemental job, then look for a room or something; and from there enjoy the beach! Great plan, until I found out that if there is a SS office nearby, it's in the Federal Building which serves as the entrance to the United States Courthouse with all the paranoid attendant security.  

0946 am Friday March 23rd 2018

Over the night the wind shifted and it got really cold. Not Dayton Ohio cold but at least low 40s. When I woke up the sun was up but still quite cool, so I walked around to the back of the building. 

THERE WAS A TENT CITY HOUSING AT LEAST SEVENTY HOMELESS FOLKS IN THE PARK. It was larger than any similar encampment I have ever seen in Washington. D.C.  This is something I've noticed about Fort Lauderdale: If you even LOOK like you might be homeless, NOBODY will respond to anything you say,  even if you just want directions. It's understandable, because most if not all these homeless folks have no money at all, and they all want something, and there are so many of them that folks are sick of being pestered. Me, I still have sufficient cash for a couple days (but not enough to get me a $250 per night hotel room or - what I freaking wish I had right now - a bus ticket back to Alexandria where we have a SS office and the facilities and services to get someone back on his feet IF he wants to do so.

Some bunch of do-gooders is going to visit Tent City on Saturday. I'm gonna try to get them to pack me back to Alexandria.

I've heard about the best-laid plans of mice and men sometimes going astray, but this is damned ridiculous. 


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive