Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2018

NATIONAL POLICE WEEK 2018

The police officers from across America and their families are arriving in droves this weekend to observe National Police Week, when the contributions of our law enforcement professionals are commemorated.

I say "commemorated" because also arriving with them are the families of officers who made the Ultimate Contribution of their very lives. This week is a living memorial to them. 

One of the most emotionally impacting images I have ever seen is of a little boy of about ten years, at his father's funeral and wearing his father's service hat, trying to come to grips with why his father had to give his life in defense of ours and why what happened happened. 

I have tried to come up with an appropriate phrase for this occasion. For while part of the week will feature fun and entertainment, obviously "Happy Police Week" doesn't quite cut it. 

As I sit here in the lobby of the Old Town Hilton writing this, kids of families here for the occasion are ripping and tearing around as the adults distribute tote bags, pamphlets and stickers and agendas for the coming days. These are normal people with normal lives except for one thing: They put their lives on the line daily, and sometimes that line claims one of their number.

If you are one of them, I think I speak for just about everyone when I say "Thank You".  When I consider what you do, this seems wholly inadequate. Nevertheless, thank you.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive